Aside from the impacts that affect all of us during the pandemic….. as property managers and owners, we have addition challenges.
- Tenants are impacted by shutdowns to their work and may not be able to pay rent
- Limitations on evictions and weekly changes to legal requirements and processes
- Maintenance is difficult and how to be as safe as possible while managing the property.
On Rent collection, We spent months being flexible and taking whatever payments we could get. We didnt charge late fees, or take legal actions. Unfortunately we found that some people, not impacted by COVID or unemployment are utilizing these processes to avoid paying rent.
At Real Property Management Rio Grande, we have recently added a detailed proprietary process and set of steps to help people who need help and still provide the rent proceeds our owners need for their own bills. If tenants do not pay rent as required on the first of the month:
- We provide options for payment plans. The must meet their payment plan commitments consistently
- We provide information on assistance programs and fill out our part of the paperwork
- If they cannot pay rent and need to move out, we delay past recollection to give them time. Drop off keys and we will not pursue collections, add termination fees, or file for judgement if they work with us
- If they do not take advantage of the above programs, we pursure judgements and legal actions as allowed by law. People who choose not to get help OR work with us on options OR drop off keys no questions asked may end up with a legal record that impacts their future rental ability.
We encourage the State and National government to pass legislation to pay rent directly to the landlord for people who have fallen behind. In this way, both tenants and owners who depend on rental income for basic spending can be helped. This can be easily accomplished through HUD programs. Waiving rent or mortgage payements does not help tenants or owners. Giving people a stimulus payment does not pay rent.
We are working with tenants by providing options during this difficult time and getting payments for owners so that they can pay their bills as well.
If you need help as a owner managing a rental property and collecting rent, Please call us or submit a request for information. We can discuss how we balance tenant and owner needs to deal with this pandemic.
Real Property Management Rio Grande
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.